Modafinil is a wakefulness-promoting agent, treats narcolepsy, (a condition characterized by an extreme tendency to fall asleep whenever in relaxing surroundings.), shift work sleep disorder, and excessive daytime sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea. It sounds like a stimulant that can be dangerous if abused. You need to be careful when taking this drug; probably you should take it under the supervision of a health medical professional. Recreationally, it is taken as a cognition-enhancing agent, which is a smart drug also called smart drugs or cognitive enhancers—are drugs, supplements, or other substances that improve certain cognitive function, specifically the main functions such as memory, creativity, or motivation, in healthy individuals. Quite frankly this sounds like a very dangerous practice to consume this drug as a cognitive enhancer; if a person insists on using the drug for this purpose they should really do it under a doctor’s guidance. You just don’t know if it will damage the brain or not if it is abused.
In English-speaking countries it’s sold under the names Alertec, Modavigil, and Provigil and specifically in the United States it is considered as a classified as a schedule IV controlled substance which restricts its usage because it could be highly addictive. In most other countries it is sold as a legal drug with no limitations and in Egypt it is sold as an over-the-counter drug under the name Bravamax. At first its effects were unknown but now it is believed to be a weak atypical dopamine reuptake inhibitor so they say. However, it may be this drug has other effects on the human body. Another restriction is the drug may cause skin or hypersensitivity issues and psychiatric reactions the European Medicines Agency has advised its use for new patient prescriptions be limited to treat sleepiness related to narcolepsy.
The drug is also used for the neurological fatigue reported by some who suffer from multiple sclerosis. In a 2000 study conducted by Cephalon, 72 people suffering from the fatigue induced by multiple sclerosis were treated with modafinil and inactive placebo. The study went on for nine weeks and the subjects reported less fatigue from taking modafinil over the placebo. The statistics were noticeably different as well between the modafinil and placebo in the fact that modafinil reduced the fatigue in the subjects a lot more than the placebo. The lesser dosage of modafinil was much more effective than the large dosage of modafinil for reducing the subject’s fatigue. The drug supposedly help to calm sedation and fatigue in depression, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, myotonic dystrophy, opioid-induced sleepiness, spastic cerebral palsy, and Parkinson’s disease. It is said to help improve excessive daytime somnolence and fatigue in primary biliary cirrhosis.
If you have any of the following medical conditions you need to talk to your doctor before taking Modafinil:
- If you are pregnant or if you want to become pregnant or you plan on breastfeeding
- You are taking any type of prescription, non-prescription medicine or herbal preparation and any dietary supplements
- Do you have any allergies to foods, substances, or any dietary supplements
- Are you taking any prescriptions, non-prescription medication or herbal preparation or any kind of dietary supplements
- You suffer from kidney problems, kidney problems, heart problems (such as chest pain, heart blood vessel problems or a recent heart attack) or high blood pressure
- Do you have a history of mental depression or mood problems such as ( mental depression, mania, psychosis) Do you have suicidal thoughts or actions? Have you a history of alcohol abuse or other substance abuse
- Do you habitually take monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine)
Are you Taking any of these Medications which make react with Modafinil
- Erythromycin or ketoconazole which may increase the side effects of modafinil
- Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, or rifampin may noticeably decrease the overall effectiveness of modafinil
- Clomipramine, desipramine, diazepam, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), omeprazole, propranolol, or warfarin because these are a double whammy because modafinil will enhance their side effects
- Cyclosporine, hormonal products (eg, birth control pills, certain hormone replacements), midazolam, quetiapine, or triazolam these drugs may be rendered useless by modafinil and this is not an exhaustive list of medications
How to Use the Drug:
- This drug may be so harmful that it comes with an informational guide called a Medication Guide and it is advised you read it each time you get a refill
- Your choice take it by mouth or without food
- You really need to take this in the morning of course if your doctor tells you a different schedule follow his instructions
- If you take because you fall asleep at work take it one hour before you go to work
- Never take two doses at once if you miss your dose then take it as soon as you can. If it becomes afternoon or early evening skip the dose and get back on track in the morning.
- This drug may cause dizziness and should never be mixed with alcohol. Be careful taking this drug and don’t drive or engage in other unsafe tasks until you know how the drug will affect you
- Never drink alcohol while taking modafinil it could cause fatal side effects
- Don’t take more than recommended dosage without checking with your doctor. It could be fatal.
- Certainly modafinil cannot cure sleep disorders and may not totally stop your sleepiness. You must talk to your doctor before you change any daily habits. Discuss how much you sleep with the doctor and this drug should never replace actual sleep. Talk to the doctor about and follow his instructions for good sleep habits and other treatments.
- Warning: Sometimes fatal reactions have occurred taking modafinil. This reaction has signs like fever, swollen glands. The organs affected will be the ver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. If you are worried talk to the doctor.
- Hormonal birth control may be useless when taking modafinil so use stronger birth control methods like condoms. Keep using this form of birth control up to one month after you stop taking the drug.
- You should have the blood pressure checked frequently. Talk to the doctor about this.
- Elderly people should not take this drug as they can be more sensitive to the drug’s side effects.
- Modafinil should never be given to children because it could cause fatal skin reactions like Stevens-Johnson syndrome in children. Talk to your pediatrician he may think the drug is worth taking even at the risk of side effects. Don’t make the decision to give this medication to your child without talking to the doctor.
- This is a huge warning if you are pregnant or breastfeeding talk with the doctor about taking modafinil. It may or may not show up in breastfeeding. You need to talk to the doctor about the possible risks to your baby.
Serious Side Effects
Back pain; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; nervousness; runny nose; stomach upset; stuffy nose; trouble sleeping.If these side effects materialize talk to the doctor: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); confusion; fever, chills, or sore throat; mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anxiety, depression, exaggerated sense of well-being, hallucinations, irritability); muscle or joint pain; severe or persistent headache; suicidal thoughts or actions; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; symptoms of heart problems (eg, chest pain, fast or irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath); symptoms of kidney problems (eg, unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, a big weight gain); symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, loss of appetite, pale stools, stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This drug sounds seriously harmful as well. It is a combination of two salt enantiomers of amphetamine, a powerful central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the phenethylamine class. Any drug dealing with the central nervous system bus be taken with extreme caution. Adderall is used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. It can be used as an athletic performance enhancer (dangerous) and cognitive enhancer (another harmful use), and recreationally as an aphrodisiac and euphoriant. This drug should be used with extreme caution and you should consult a doctor before using it.
The active salt ingredients ingredients of Adderall are 25% levoamphetamine salts (the levorotary or ‘left-handed’ enantiomer) and 75% dextroamphetamine salts (the dextrorotary or ‘right-handed’ enantiomer). Does this sound safe? The drug is mainly used for ADHD and is supposedly well tolerated for this treatment. It will at milder doses produce a euphoric state. It is also a cognitive enhancer another caution of how dangerous this drug can be. It increases wakefulness and at these doses it may it induce physical effects such as slower reaction time, resistance to becoming tired, and increased muscle strength. In contrast, much larger doses of Adderall can impair cognitive control, cause rapid muscle breakdown, or induce a psychosis (e.g., delusions and paranoia). This can be some serious side effects.
Warnings of using Adderall
Don’t use Adderall if you have any of the Following:
- Overactive thyroid
- Severe agitation
- Moderate to severe high blood pressure
- Heart disease or coronary artery disease
- A history of drug or alcohol addiction
- Taken a MAO inhibitor within the last 14 days MAO inhibitors such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine, and others.
- You are allergic to any stimulant medication
Be careful taking adderall it could be addictive.
Stimulants like adderall have been known to kill people.
Talk to the Doctor if you have:
- Heart problems or congenital heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Family History of heart disease or sudden death. In some cases adderall can cause sudden death.
Family Medical History
Contact Your Doctor if:
- Any family member has had depression, mental illness, bipolar disorder, psychosis, or suicidal thoughts or actions
- Such things as motor tics (muscle twitches) or Tourette’s syndrome
- Seizures or Epilepsy
- Abnormal EEG (brain wave test)
- Poor blood circulation in the hands or feet
*Super warning it isn’t known if adderall will harm an unborn baby or not. So, if you are pregnant don’t take adderall. The serious side effects of taking adderall during pregnancy can be cause premature birth, low birth weight, or withdrawal symptoms in the newborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Is it worth the risks?
Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine can pass into breastfeeding a harm a feeding baby. Again is it worth the risk?
*ADDERALL IS NOT APPROVED FOR ANYONE UNDER SIX YEARS OLD. SO, NEVER GIVE IT TO A CHILD THAT AGE NEVER! IT CAN AFFECT THE GROWTH OF CHIDREN.
How to Take Adderall:
- Take it exactly as the doctor prescribes. If you don’t it could cause serious side effects and heart disease. Can cause serious side effects on the heart even death
- Read all patient information and medication guides, and instruction guides. If you have any doubts talk to the doctor or pharmacist.
- Follow the prescription instructions but the doctor may change the dose for the best results. Never take more or less than the prescribed dosage.
- This drug is addictive so don’t ever share it with someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Selling this drug is against the law.
- It is best to take this drug in the morning. Take it with or without food. You may get sick if you take it on an empty stomach.
- Don’t crush, break or open a RX extended time release capsule. Always swallow it whole. If you don’t the time release function will become useless.
- If you want to make swallowing easier open the capsule and sprinkle the powder into applesauce. Eat the applesauce immediately and don’t save it for later. Again the extended time release comes into play here.
- If you use adderall the doctor will have to check on a regular basis your heart rate, blood pressure, height and weight may also need to be checked often.
- Adderall can play havoc on certain medical test results so tell the doctor if you are taking adderall.
- Store at room temperature away from heat, light and moisture.
- Keep track of how much you use with each bottle. This drug is highly adictive and someone may be stealing the pills from you.
If you miss a dose try and take it as soon as you can. If it gets to be evening wait until the next day to resume the daily dose.
Simply put if you overdose on adderall you can die. Overdose symptoms: restlessness, tremor, muscle twitches, rapid breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, aggressiveness, muscle pain or weakness, and dark colored urine. These symptoms may be followed by depression and tiredness. Other overdose symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, uneven heartbeats, feeling light-headed, fainting, seizure (convulsions), or coma.
Don’t drive or engage in other harmful activities while you take adderall. It may slow down or impair your cognitive reactions. Avoid drinking fruit juices or taking vitamin C at the same time you take Adderall. These can make your body absorb less of the medicine.
Call the doctor if:
- You have swelling of the lips, tongue, hives, or difficulty breathing these are signs of allergic reactions. Seek medical emergency help swiftly.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real), new behavior problems, aggression, hostility, paranoia (you are being watched or chased so you think)
- a seizure (convulsions) epileptic type signs
- numbness, pain, cold feeling, unexplained wounds, or skin color changes (pale, red, or blue appearance) in your fingers or toes. You cannot feel anything
- muscle twitches (tics), spasms, and muscle convulsions or you feel shaky
- changes in your vision or you cannot see at all
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine). General soreness all over the body or sudden pain in different parts of the body
- stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- weight loss;
- mood changes, feeling nervous;
- fast heart rate;
- headache, dizziness;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- dry mouth.
- Bladder pain
- bloody or cloudy urine
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- frequent urge to urinate
- lower back or side pain
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- cough or hoarseness
- fever or chills
Back to the original premise which drug is the winner in the great debate over which one is superior. We have compared the two drugs side by side extensively in a few categories. The winner in this competition will not be held in high esteem. Both drugs are very dangerous and except in a controlled environment under a doctor’s care they should not be taken. Modafinil is the winner in the drug comparison because the side effects were serious but some side effects of adderall will kill you. Adderall is not recommended for children under six.
Adderall is more addictive than modafinil to the point that it was suggested you track your usage of adderall from bottle to bottle. Adderall can cause sudden death in some cases. Adderall seemed to have more side effects than modafinil. If an overdose occurs with adderall it was advised to contact the poison center but not the case with modafinil. Adderall was suggested to not be consumed while a woman is pregnant. Modafinil was advised you consult a doctor if pregnant before using this drug. Adderall could harm a child in the womb and adderall will definitely show up in breastfeeding. Modafinil was said to be unknown if it would show up in breastfeeding or not. Modafinil wins this competition but it is still a harmful drug that needs to be taken with extreme caution.